Twelve Jews, under the leadership of Joseph Lebensburger, met in the old Dayton Bank Building to form a Hebrew Society dedicated to worship and perpetuation of their joint heritage.
The Hebrew Society incorporated as Kehillah Kodesh B’nai Yeshurun.
The rapidly growing congregation moved to larger quarters near First and Main Streets. Congregation purchased its first home, a former Baptist church at the northeast corner of 4th and Jefferson Streets, for $4,500.
The old synagogue was sold and a new house of worship constructed at the corner of First and Jefferson Streets.
The area around K.K. B’nai Yeshurun was heavily flooded and great damage occurred to the synagogue during the Dayton Flood.
Under the spiritual leadership of Rabbi Samuel S. Mayerberg, a new structure was built at the corner of Salem and Emerson Avenues with a sanctuary seating six hundred, a social hall, classrooms, offices and a kitchen. The congregation’s name was changed to Temple Israel.
During the tenure of Rabbi Selwyn D. Ruslander (who served Temple Israel from 1947 until his death in 1969), a modern sanctuary was built and directly connected to the original building.
Rabbi P. Irving Bloom became rabbi, and many innovations followed: a new Religious School Hebrew curriculum; Focus on Friday programs with enriching speakers during the year; Scholar-in-Residence programs with Temple Beth Or and Beth Abraham Synagogue; adult Jewish studies classes; lay-led summer services with Beth Abraham.
The congregation moved into its new home at on Riverside Drive.
Rabbi Bloom retired, and Rabbi Marc Gruber became Temple’s religious leader and during his tenure introduced adult B’not Mitzvah classes; worship reform; participation in Synagogue 2000, and other innovative programs.